Saturday, July 4, 2009

Travels to the west and toward the within Day 1

June 11th 2009
We left home early for a long days travel through Tennessee, Kentucky and into Illinois. This was the first day of our 3 weeklong adventure out west to see America and the Grand Canyon. That first day, we drove past many fellow travelers. They were destined for the Bonnaroo Music festival that is held in southern middle Tennessee. It happened to be an event set for this weekend. The police were having a hay day stopping young music fans and finding probable cause to search their cars. There were hapless 20 something standing by the side of the road their belongs strewn about and police rifling through tents and food sacks. The officials in Tennessee take their jobs seriously. I worried that if my longhaired and kilted bearded sweetie were to get stopped, we would also have our belongings riffled through and examined. I wonder what would have happened to all the spices and herbs we were taking camping with us for tea and cooking. I can only assume that the fourth amendment has less pull in Tennessee than say, the second amendment. As we moved on toward the west and into Nashville, the roads became crowded but flowed well. When we turned toward Paduka Kentucky I remembered my friend Karen telling me that Paduca is home to the biggest quilt contest in America. I quickly snatched up my book “the Quilted Travelers” companion and found Paducah. A large ad premiered the American Quilt Museum. JJ and I were on our way. The museum was astonishing. NO cameras allowed of course. There were several quilts that I recognized from some of my quilting books. I was in awe seeing them in person. Many had modern colorful designs that flowed and swirled using techniques that I can’t fathom. There was a lot of appliqué and much of it was traditional but most of it was unique and intricate. My natural tendency to compare left me feeling a bit inadequate. I can’t imagine producing art of that quality. I will still attempt to have my quilt hung at the William King Arts center for the festival.
After the museum, we stopped in quaint town with very little to offer. We found a small bar and had dinner while enjoying the company of a couple of ladies who were hospitable and proud to tell us about their town. Turned out that the little bar and hotel housed a mineral hot springs. I hope we find more good company like that in our travels.

No comments: